Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
A setup is basically all about getting the action (string height) to a comfortable playing position. This can be a very personal thing and I always invite customers to test their guitar on collection.
Some blues or slide players like a slightly higher action so they can really dig in, where as the more shready metal guitarists usually like a low fast action.
A setup includes:
- Truss rod and neck adjustment
- Nut recut / Nut raise
- Saddle adjustments for optimum playability
- Fret polish
- Fingerboard clean and oil
If your guitar is becoming difficult to play, has excessive buzzing or doesn’t play in tune, it probably needs a setup. The action can raise / lower over time due to the nature of how wood moves, or if you change gauge of strings. If this happens, adjustments need to be made to compensate for the change in tension.
A full service includes everything from the setup plus:
- Light fret leveling, recrowning and polishing
- Checking and cleaning electronics*
- Servicing of hardware (Machine heads, Bridge parts)*
*additional costs if parts need to be replaced